Chocolate & Reishi
Chocolate and reishi are a natural pairing, both nutritionally and from a flavor standpoint! Add the luscious texture and flavor of avocado, cashews, dates and walnuts, and you have a perfect combination of plant based healthy fats with rich, buttery undertones.
What is reishi?
Reishi is a medicinal mushroom that is said to be beneficial for preventing cancer, fighting depression, and boosting immunity. Combined with the incredible antioxidant profile of cacao and you have a sweet nutritional powerhouse. Reishi is a little bitter as well, and the flavor of the chocolate really helps to mask and balance that slight bitterness.
What if I don’t have an ice cream maker?
If you don’t have an ice cream maker, you can easily make this by simply skipping that step and putting the blended mixture straight into the freezer. Check it every hour and give it a stir for a few hours to help prevent ice crystals from forming.
This is a delicious chocolate ice cream that can be a base for many different flavor profiles:
- chocolate mint
- chocolate peanut butter swirl
- banana chocolate
- salted chocolate
Chocolate Reishi Walnut Ice Cream
Author: Rachel Carr
Recipe type: Dessert
Cuisine: Raw Vegan
Serves: 4 servings
- 1 cup cashews, soaked 1-2 hours
- 1 avocado, pitted
- 6 dates, pitted
- 1 cup chocolate powder with reishi (reishi is optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups filtered water
- ¼ cup walnut pieces
- Place all the ingredients in a blender and purée until smooth. Chill the mixture in your refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- When the mixture is cold, place it in an ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer's directions. Process and then mix in the chopped walnuts. Place in a parchment lined pan and freeze. It will have texture of soft serve ice cream at first, but hardens up after a little time in the freezer. If it's too hard to scoop when you take it right out of the freezer, let it sit on the counter for 10-15 minutes.
Beautiful recipe. I have plain Navitas cacao. Will add 1 teaspoon of Reishi.
Hi there! Thanks for the comment! That will absolutely work! Let me know how it turns out 🙂