Even in the summer time I love pho! The fragrant herbs, complex broth, meaty tofu and succulent mushrooms and perfect anytime.
Servings: 4 servings
- Instant Pot
- 1 each onion halved
- 4" ginger peeled
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 5 each cloves, whole
- 2 each cardamom pods
- 3 each cinnamon sticks
- 5 each star anise
- 8 cups water
- 2 cups mushrooms halved
- 1 each carrot, medium peeled and chopped
- 4 each celery stalks chopped
- 2 tsp tamari (or soy sauce)
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 block tofu, extra firm
- 7 oz thin rice noodles
- 8 oz oyster mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 each carrot peeled and chopped
- 2 each baby bok choy halved
- Garnish: mint, cilantro, Thai basil, scallions, sprouts, lime wedges, chili peppers
- Pre-heat your broiler. Place the halved onion and ginger on a sheet pan and place in the broiler. Broil for 15-20 minutes or until the onion and ginger are lightly charred. The amount of time will vary depending on the temperature and distance of your broiler. When they are done remove from the broiler and set aside.
- Set your Instant Pot to “Sauté” and add the coriander seeds, cloves, cardamom pods, cinnamon sticks, and star anise to the heated Instant Pot. Toast the spices in the pot for 2-3 minutes or until the spices begin to become fragrant.
- Add the water, mushrooms, carrot and celery. Place the lid on the Instant Pot and set it to “Soup” and cook on normal pressure for 30 minutes. When the timer goes off, allow the pressure to release naturally before removing the lid. Strain the vegetables from the broth and discard. Save the broth and season with tamari, rice vinegar, and brown sugar.
- Heat the oven to 400°F. Drain the tofu well and cut into 1/2” cubes. Place on a sheet pan lined with parchment or a non-stick liner. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until the tofu is golden and slightly crispy.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add the rice noodles. Boil for 5-6 minutes or until cooked al dente. Drain and rinse with cool water in a colander. Divide between 2 bowls.
- Heat 1/4 cup of water in the Instant Pot set to “Sauté.” Add the oyster mushrooms along with the minced garlic and sauté until the mushrooms are tender. Add the carrots and a little more water if necessary and cook for 2-3 minutes more until the carrots are a little tender. Add the finished broth and allow to re-heat. When it’s hot as desired, add the bok choy in the last minute.
- Ladle some of the broth and vegetables over the noodles. Top with some of the baked tofu. Garnish each bowl with mint, cilantro, Thai basil, scallions, sprouts, lime wedges, and sliced chiles. Serve immediately.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!