Do you miss cheese? It’s one of the things that I hear people missing the most after transitioning to a raw or plant based diet. Luckily, there are tons of ways to satisfy that craving without harming any animals or your health! This article will teach you how to make raw vegan cheddar with cashews and other simple and healthy vegan ingredients!
I love to make hard cheeses the most because they have had the chance to develop a complex flavor and really gives you the satisfaction of having a sliceable, hard cheese!
Are you looking for a great meltable cheese? Try this recipe.
If you want to learn more about raw vegan cooking, check out my online course!
- ¼ cup red bell pepper
- ¼ cup water
- 2 cups cashews, soaked 2 hours to overnight
- 1 probiotic capsule
- 1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- Blend bell pepper and water and strain.
- Add the cashews to the strained bell pepper liquid and blend until smooth. You can also complete this step in a food processor, if you don’t have a high speed blender. A blender makes the mixture smoother but also requires more liquid and is harder to work with.
- Transfer the blended cashews and bell pepper juice to a bowl and add the contents of 1 probiotic capsule. Stir well
- Transfer this mixture to a strainer lined in cheesecloth, drain and tie up into a bundle. Allow to ferment for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours, scrape the cashew cheese out of the cheesecloth and transfer again to a bowl. Stir in the nutritional yeast, sea salt, lemon juice and turmeric.
- Line 2 3" ring molds with parchment paper.
- Press the cheese into the lined ring molds and cover with plastic. Refrigerate for 2 days.
- After 2 days, carefully remove the ring mold and season the cheese with sea salt on the top and sides. Cover again tightly with plastic wrap and return the refrigerator again for 10-14 days. Every few days, flip the wheels of cheese and change the parchment paper on the bottom if it is moist.
- After 10-14 days, you should be able to handle the cheese and slice it. You can ferment the cheese longer if you like. If any mold forms, scrape it off and return the wheel to the frig. .
Wondering what probiotic capsules are the best to try? Check out this article.11