Have you ever had Bang Bang Shrimp? It’s a dish popularized by the Bonefish Grill and it’s one of the most popular appetizers on the menu! It’s also not exactly healthy, with a creamy, spicy and sweet mayonnaise based sauce and and fried shrimp.Our whole food plant based Bang Bang Tofu has less fat and is made with plant based ingredients like tofu and cauliflower instead of seafood, and healthy whole grain brown rice!
The tofu and cauliflower are completely cooked without oil. This recipe teaches you how to roast them in your oven with amazing results! The secret is to use parchment paper on the sheet pan to prevent sticking, rather than the traditional coating of oil. It works really well! I also recommend drizzling a little water over the cauliflower to help keep it from drying out in the oven.
We recommend serving the Bang Bang Tofu with brown rice, but it’s delicious with sticky white rice or even quinoa as well.
Other veggies I recommend using in this recipe:
- summer squash
- butternut squash
- sweet potato
Do you have other favorite veggies that you think would be delicious in the Bang Bang Tofu? Leave your suggestion in the comments below!
- 28 oz tofu extra firm
- 4 cups cauliflower cut into florets
- 2 cups brown rice cooked
Bang Bang Sauce
- 1 cup cashews, raw
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp agave
- 1 1/2 tbsp sriracha or other hot sauce
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Pre-heat the oven to 400*F/204°C.
- Cut the tofu into 1/2" cubes. Place the tofu onto a sheet pan that has been lined in parchment paper and place in the oven. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Cut the cauliflower into bite sized florets. Place the cauliflower florets onto a parchment lined sheet pan and drizzle with a little water around the pan. Place the cauliflower in the oven with the tofu and cook for 30 minutes.
- While the tofu and cauliflower are cooking, place all the Bang Bang sauce ingredients into a blender and purée until smooth. Set aside until ready to use.
- When the tofu and cauliflower are done cooking, remove them from the oven and place them in a medium mixing bowl. Add the Bang Bang sauce to the mixing bowl and toss with the tofu and cauliflower until thoroughly coated. Serve hot over the cooked brown rice and garnish with sesame seeds and green onion.
If you don’t have sriracha, sweet chili sauce will work, or any other hot sauce that you love. If it’s a super hot sauce, add a little at a time to taste so it doesn’t get too hot!
Loving Bang Bang Tofu and looking for more tofu recipes? Try this oil-free Tofu Satay!
Leave a Reply