Spring is finally here! Which means fresh berries.
And strawberries are one of the healthiest fruits around!
They help burn stored fat
The red coloring contains anthocyanins, which stimulate the burning of stored fat. When a group of animals was fed a high-fat diet along with anthocyanins, they gained 24 percent less weight than the animals eating the high-fat diet without added anthocyanins.
They are low in calories and high in Fiber
One cup contains only 54 calories.
Strawberries ease inflammation!
Strawberries lower blood levels of C-reactive protein (CRP), a signal of inflammation in the body.
Strawberries contain anti-aging properties!
Strawberries are filled with biotin, which helps build strong hair and nails. They also contain the antioxidants which protect the elastic fibers in our skin to prevent sagging.
But make sure that you only use organic strawberries! There are over 50 pesticides that have been found on non-organic berries.
In this salad, I love the creaminess of the avocado against the brightness of the strawberries. A little fennel adds some crunch and the dressing is sweet and tart at the same time.
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 12-16 strawberries, cut in half
- ¼ cup fennel, sliced paper thin on a mandoline
- 4 handfuls of baby greens, like arugula or baby chard
- pinch of poppy seeds to finish
- Zest 3 lemons
- ½ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup agave
- ½ Tablespoon mustard
- 1 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoons poppy seeds
- Blend everything for the dressing (except the poppy seeds) in the blender until fully incorporated. Fold in the poppy seeds by hand.
- Arrange salad ingredients and dress with the salad dressing and extra poppy seeds.
Leave a Reply