This dish is so simple, lovely and fast to throw together. I think it probably takes longer to make a cooked version of this dish! Cauliflower makes a brilliant and healthy, grain free raw vegan substitute for rice. And it’s so easy to make, you won’t believe it.
Cauliflower is a powerhouse of nutrition, and one of the best vegetables to include in your diet on a regular basis. Of course, it’s delicious roasted and steamed, and even pureed into soup, but it’s also great raw.
Check out these great health benefits of cauliflower!
- Contains a high amount of fiber, which is important for digestive health and may reduce the risk of several chronic diseases.
- Provides a significant amount of antioxidants, which are beneficial for reducing inflammation and protecting against several chronic diseases.
- Low in calories but high in fiber and water — all properties that may assist in weight loss.
- A good source of choline, a nutrient many people are lacking. It is involved in many processes in the body and works to prevent several diseases.
- Rich is sulforaphane, a plant compound with many beneficial effects, such as reduced risk of cancer, heart disease and diabetes.
Raw Vegan Cauliflower and Kale "Fried Rice"
Super simple raw vegan "fried rice," made from cauliflower as the rice, tossed with veggies and cashews.
Author: Rachel Carr
Recipe type: Entree
Cuisine: Raw Vegan
Serves: 4 servings
- 1½ cups sliced shitake mushrooms (about 6 medium mushrooms)
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, cut into florets (makes about 6 cups of rice)
- ½ cup scallions, sliced
- 1 cup kale, cut into thin strips
- ½ bell pepper, medium, julienned
- 1 small carrot, peeled and julienned
- ½ teaspoon grated ginger
- juice of ¼ lime
- 2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons tamari
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt + more to taste
- cashews for garnish
- To make the marinated shitakes, place the sliced mushrooms in a small mixing bowl and add the sesame oil, sea salt and tamari. Toss until everything is well coated. Set aside and allow to marinate for 15 minutes while you prepare the rest of the "fried rice."
- For the cauliflower rice, place the cauliflower florets in a food processor and pulse repeatedly until the cauliflower is broken up into rice like pieces. When the cauliflower is well broken up, transfer to a bowl and add the scallions, chopped kale, bell pepper, carrot and grated ginger. Toss well until thoroughly mixed.
- Add the lime juice, sesame oil, tamari, and salt and toss again. Adjust seasoning as desired with more salt if necessary.
- Transfer to bowls and garnish with raw cashews.