I love cold soups in the summer and there’s none better, and more satisfying than Cucumber Soup! This soup is inspired from a restaurant I used to work in when I was in college. It would only come around in the summer months and I think people would look forward to it every time the weather would get hot! They would come in just for it and other seasonal specials that came around in the season. I think it was very simple, although I never got the recipe from them!
I’ve done my best to recreate it here and I’m pretty pleased with the results! The difference here is that everything is plant based. I’ve used almond yogurt in place of the traditional cow’s yogurt or crème frâiche. A hint of lemon adds a wonderful brightness.
Herbs are also very important in this recipe! I have used basil but I think it would be wonderful with tarragon, dill or chives!
Do you have a favorite chilled soup?
- 3 cucumbers, peeled and chopped
- 1¼ cup plant based yogurt
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ tsp xanthan gum
- ¼ cup basil
- Black pepper to taste
- Garnish corn, peppers, cilantro, plant based yogurtyogurt
- Place all the ingredients in the blender and blend until smooth. Garnish with corn kernels, sliced peppers, cilantro and a swirl of plant based yogurt.
- Chill until ready to serve.