Raw vegan zucchini noodles are a delicious alternative to wheat spaghetti, and are even faster and easier to make than traditional pasta! You just need a spiralizer, or even a vegetable peeler. You can of course eat them raw, but you can also lightly cook them or mix them into a warm sauce.
Note: This dish should be mixed right before serving, as the zucchini will start to release some water after it’s been mixed with the pesto.
Have you ever used a spiralizer? It’s a handy little tool that no healthy kitchen should be without, this utensil will allow you to turn almost any vegetable into noodles of all shapes and sizes. Zucchini is great but here’s a list of other veggies I like to use, all of which can be eaten raw:
- sweet potato
- butternut squash
The avocado pesto we’re making today is totally raw vegan, and also nut-free. The avocado gives a lovely smooth texture and a fatty body to the sauce. The bounty of basil lends a fragrant herbaceous quality. So delicious!
- 1 large zucchini, or 2 medium zucchini, washed
- 1 avocado, pitted
- 4 cups basil
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- sea salt to taste
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 1 lemon
- Garnish: grape tomatoes, basil, nutritional yeast
- Process the zucchini in a spiralizer to make about 4 cups of noodles. Set aside until ready to use.
- Place the avocado, basil, olive oil, garlic, nutritional yeast, sea salt, lemon zest and lemon juice in a food processor. Process until smooth.
- Toss the noodles with as much of the avocado pesto as you like, season to taste and then garnish with sliced grape tomato, more basil and a sprinkle of nutritional yeast. Serve immediately.
- Note: You may have a little extra pesto leftover! Cover tightly to keep it from browning.
Leave a Reply