This dish is an elegant addition to your holiday table! Beef wellington is a filet of beef wrapped in puff pastry and baked, then sliced. To veganize it, I’ve created a filling made from pecans and mushrooms, with hints of sage.
Puff pastry is usually made with butter, but guess what?? There’s some widely available brands that are made with plant based ingredients! Pepperidge Farms is sold in almost every major grocery store.
The mushroom jus and creamy sweet potatoes help keep the dish nice and juicy.
- 6 Portobello caps, marinated in olive oil, garlic,
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 2 Tablespoons chopped sage
- 1 shallot
- 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 cups pecans
- 2 Tablespoons evoo
- 1 Tablespoon harissa
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 sheet puff pastry dough
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 1 cup cashew milk (see recipe below)
- 1 cup soaked cashews
- 2 cups water
- 1 quart vegetable stock,
- 1 oz. dried mushrooms
- 1 small bunch thyme
- ¼ cup tamari
- Salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil
- 1 shallot
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 bunch greens, such as chard or kale
- Simmer for 30 minutes and strain through cheesecloth. Season with salt to taste
- Saute greens and shallots in olive oil and wilt with a little mushroom jus. Garnish finished dish with truffle oil
- Roast sweet potatoes at 350, for about 45 minutes to an hour, covered. Allow to cool slightly and remove the skins. In a mixer or food processor (or by hand) mash until smooth with the cashew milk and salt.
- Grill portobellos until tender or roast 5 Minutes
- Pulse shallots garlic and sage in the food processor, remove and add the nuts and process till crumbly. Mix everything by hand in a mixing bowl.
- Thaw 1 sheet of frozen vegan puff pastry.
- Lay down 3 mushroom caps in a row, top with filling in a line and cover with three more mushrooms, and roll into a log.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes and the puff pastry is golden. Allow to cool 10 min. and slice.
- To serve, add a small amount of the mushroom jus (recipe page 16) to a bowl, a dollop of the sweet potatoes and a serving of sauteed greens. Top with a slice of the wellington.