Meaty and well seasoned. Tangy and creamy. Herbaceous and crisp.
This dish is so easy you won’t believe all those adjectives apply perfectly. AND it completely oil free and plant based.
Cooking without oil is kind of new to me, and I find that there some things I am still trying to master. Oven roasting vegetables without oil is especially tricky! I was pleased then, when it worked very well for thick juicy portobellos. They do become a little drier around the edges, but I liked the texture with in this context because it made them seem more meaty. The mushrooms can also be grilled or pan seared with water or veg stock.
I absolutely loved this with the combination of mint and cilantro! You could also turn it into stuffed pita sandwich, and pack it as a satisfying lunch. Or if you are gluten free, make a salad or grain bowl with the mushrooms, cabbage and herbs, with a drizzle of the turmeric yogurt!
I am challenging myself to become more creative with oil free dishes whenever possible and I’m really enjoying the results! What food goals do you have for yourself this winter?
- 1 pound portobello mushroom caps, sliced ½-inch thick
- 1 medium red onion, halved and cut into ⅓-inch wedges
- 3 tablespoons veg stock
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¾ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground smoked paprika
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 4 pitas or slices of whole wheat bread or lavash
- ¼ cup coconut yogurt
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- sea salt to taste
- For the shredded cabbage:
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- pinch of sea salt
- ½ cup cherry tomato, sliced
- Cilantro or mint, for serving
- Heat the oven to 425 degrees. On a large rimmed sheet pan, drizzle the mushrooms and red onion with 3 tablespoons veg stock. Sprinkle with cumin, coriander, paprika (if using), 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper; toss to coat. Arrange in an even layer and roast until tender and browned, about 20 minutes. Add the pitas directly to the oven rack to warm during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- For the turmeric yogurt, mix the turmeric with the coconut yogurt and season with sea salt to taste.
- Toss the thinly sliced cabbage with 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- To serve, slather turmeric yogurt over warm pitas. Top with cabbage, mushroom mixture, tomato, pickles and herbs, and serve immediately.