If you’ve never tried shiitake bacon before, you are really in for a treat. And it’s so simple!
I like to simply season the shiitake mushrooms with salt and pepper, and that’s it! The natural flavor of the mushrooms mimics bacon so well. You can add liquid smoke or smoked paprika if you’d like to get a little smokier taste. Be careful not to over cook the bacon! Once they are a little golden brown, take them out of the oven immediately and let them cool in the pan.
This BLT sandwich has a great mix of textures:
- meaty “bacon”
- crisp lettuce
- juicy tomatoes
- creamy avocado
If you love to spice things up a but, add a little sriracha or hot pickles!
- 4 cups shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 4 slices whole grain bread
- 1 tablespoon vegan mayonnaise (optional)
- ½ cup shiitake bacon
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 4 thick slices of beefsteak tomato
- 6 leaves of romaine lettuce
- To make the shiitake bacon, preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Toss the sliced shiitake mushrooms in a mixing bowl with the olive oil and season liberally with salt and pepper. Spread the sliced shiitakes out on an oiled sheet pan and place in the oven for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes remove the sheet pan from the oven and stir the shiitakes on the sheet pan. Place back in the oven and cook for another 5-10 minutes, checking regularly until the mushrooms are browned but not too dark!! If they cook too long they will taste bitter! After they are ready, remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- To make the BLT Sandwiches, spread some of the vegan mayonnaise on one side of the bread. Spread a layer of the shiitake bacon, then top with ½ an avocado sliced, 2 slices of tomato, and 3 leaves of romaine lettuce. Repeat for the second sandwich. Enjoy!!!