a deconstructed version of a classic healthy dish!
Spring rolls are one of my favorite appetizers to get when I go out to eat-I love the combination of crisp, juicy veggies, chewy rice noodles, tart lime and creamy peanut sauce. This recipe is a deconstructed version of this ubiquitous dish that makes an easy and healthy lunch. Chock-full of healthy veggies, it’s also a great choice for a low calorie, plant based meal, clocking in just under 500 calories per bowl.
It’s also a perfect canvas for whatever veggies you have on hand.
Other great choices to go with this bowl would be:
- sweet potato
- bell pepper
- red cabbage
- brussels sprouts
- chopped zucchini
- fresh corn
- baked tofu
Spring Roll Bowl
Author: Rachel Carr
Serves: 2 servings
For the peanut sauce
- ¼ cup peanut butter, creamy & unsweetened
- ½ clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- ½ tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne powder
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
- ¼ cup water (if needed)
For the Spring Roll Bowl
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 lb king oyster mushrooms, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 servings rice noodles
- 1 carrot
- ½ cucumber
- 1 serrano chili, sliced
- garnish: radish sprouts, chopped cashews, cilantro, basil, lime wedges
- To make the peanut sauce, whisk all of the ingredients together and season to taste with sea salt and cayenne. Makes about ¾ cup of sauce.
- To make the spring roll bowl, heat the oil in a sauté pan and place the king oyster mushrooms cut side down and cook 2-3 minutes on medium high heat until browned. Flip and cook the other side until browned and tender. Set aside until ready to serve.
- Heat some water to a boil and pour into a large bowl with the rice noodles. Allow to stand for 3-4 minutes or until soft. Drain when the noodles are softened and run cold water over the noodles. Toss a little bit of oil with the noodles. Divide between 2 bowls
- Slice the carrots and cucumber. Place on top of the rice noodles. Place some of the cooked mushrooms and sliced serrano chili on top of the noodles as well.
- Garnish with radish sprouts, chopped cashews, cilantro, basil and lime wedges. Serve with a side of the peanut sauce.