Raw vegan falafel can really add heft and satiety to a simple salad or vegetable wrap! You are going to love this recipe directly out of the dehydrator-they are warm and pillowy with a hint of cumin and sesame.
These are made out of purely raw zucchini, sunflower and sesame seeds, so they’re paleo, vegan and naturally gluten free. Pair them with the simple lemon tahini sauce and they make a great meal or appetizer. This recipe makes about 36 falafel balls and will hold well for up to a week, although I recommend warming them up slightly either in your dehydrator again or your oven at a low temp (like 250F-300F).
Collard greens make a great substitute for a tortilla or flatbread wrap. They will hold up for a few days after being wrapped as long as the contents aren’t too wet. Stuff your wrap with whatever veggies you like to go along with your falafel balls. I recommend:
- bell pepper
- fresh herbs (like parsley, mint, basil or cilantro)
- roasted sweet potato
- winter squash
- roasted cauliflower
- 2 zucchini
- 2 cups raw sunflower seeds, soaked 2 hours if possible and rinsed
- ½ cup Whole sesame or hemp seeds
- ¼ cup minced onion
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1½ -2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoons cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar or coconut vinegar
- 1 ½ – 2 tsp dijon mustard 1 very small clove garlic (optional
- ) ½ sea salt Freshly ground black pepper
- Water as needed (about 2-3 tablespoons)
- Puree the zucchini and sunflower seeds in a food processor. Transfer the zucchini and sunflower mixture to a bowl and add the the sesame seeds, onion, parsley, cilantro, lemon juice, sea salt, cumin, and black pepper. Mix well and form into balls about 1" in diameter. Dehydrate at 105 F for 2-3 hours or until they reach your desired texture.
- Mix well in a bowl and set aside til ready to use. For the wrap filling I used chopped cabbage, cilantro, radish and cucumber, and wrapped it in a collard leaf!
hello – how big are the 2 zucchinis? they range so much in size. A weight would be awesome. thank you!
Thanks for asking, it’s two medium zucchini!
How long can I store the falafel balls? Have you ever frozen them for later use?
I think they could absolutely be frozen!