When I set out to create this dessert, I meant to make a tarte.
A little background-I moved recently into a new house and the oven is busted in my new kitchen. So we have a (nice) toaster oven that we’ve been using for everything. I wasn’t even thinking that the supercool new tart pan I bought wouldn’t fit in this tiny little oven. So I had the crust all made, and went to get my pan to form the tart and then it hits me “?*&$#!, this isn’r going to fit.” 🙁
So I thought, well I’ll make a galette and then it can be any size I want! Thanks, tiny toaster oven!!
This grain free, refined sugar free pear and pomegranate galette is super easy. WAY easier than making a traditional pie crust, and amazingly fat free as well. It definitely tastes healthy-don’t expect this to taste exactly like a pie or tarte. It kind of reminds me of an excellent and super healthy breakfast pastry. The best kind.
You can use any kind of fruit as the filling. I think this would make great apple turnovers as well.
- ⅓ cup ground white chia seeds
- ⅓ cup water
- 2½ cups shredded unsweetened coconut
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅓ cup corn starch, potato starch, arrowroot powder or tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 pears, seeded and sliced finely
- 1 pomegranate, seeded
- ½ cup to ¾ cup coconut sugar, or to taste
- Pinch of salt
- Juice and grated zest of ½ lemon (optional)
- 3 to 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- If you're starting with chia seeds, grind them in the blender or a spice grinder.
- Mix the ground cha with water and allow to stand for 10 minutes while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Grind the unsweetened dried coconut in a food processor until it is a fine powder.
- Mix the coconut sugar, sea salt, corn starch and powdered shredded coconut in a food processor. Add the soaked chia to the mixture in the food processor in small chunks. Process until the mixture is a smooth dough.
- Roll the dough out onto a board under a piece of parchment paper as thin as desired, Cut into a circle using a plate as a mold. Place in the refrigerator whie you are preparing the filling.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400F.
- Seed the pomegranate and set aside. The easiest way to seed a pomegranate is to tap it against the table to loosen the seeds and then score the skin all the way around. Open the pomegranate and gently remove the seeds by hand.
- Slice the pears open and remove the seeds, Thinly slice the pears and mix with the coconut sugar, salt, lemon zest and 3-4 T cornstarch. Toss well until the fruit is completely coated.
- Get the crust out of the frig and place on a flat surface, with parchment baking paper underneath. Place the fruit in the center of the crust, leaving 1½" of crust around the edge. I made 2 smaller galettes with this recipe, but it will also easily make 1 larger one.
- Gently fold the crust over the edge of the fruit. It's ok if this is rustic looking.
- Transfer the galette to a baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes in the oven. Allow to cool for 20 minutes before serving.