One of the best things about my current job is all the delicious food I get to taste, but it has left me a little heavier than I like in the last year. In fact I gained about 15 lbs, because I was enjoying myself so much, and began to experience skin problems for the first time in years.
I have finally begun getting back to my previous weight once I cut out sugars and starches, and increased my protein intake.
On a vegan diet this presents some challenges, but I have found that modest supplementation with a vegan protein powder is helping me a lot!
Since I’m not eating my normal 6-7 bananas a day, I was stumped with replacing my smoothie habit. What should I put my protein powder in?? I have settled on making protein milks for myself in the morning, sweetened with stevia. It’s very satisfying, and really holds me over all morning. You can make your own milk, or if you don’t want to spend the time, just use your favorite unsweetened nut or seed milk as a base!
- 1 cup almonds, soaked overnight and rinsed
- 4 cups filtered water
- 5 Tablespoons vegan protein powder (I am using SunWarrior brand, but feel free to use whichever protein powder you like best!)
- 2 Teaspoons matcha powder
- stevia to taste*
- pinch celtic sea salt or Himalayan pink salt
- Soak the raw almonds in filtered water overnight.
- Rinse almonds well and discard the soaking water.
- Blend the almonds with 4 cups filtered water, and then strain the pulp through a fine mesh strainer, nut milk bag or cheesecloth.
- Discard the pulp and set aside the almond milk.
- Blend the almond milk with the protein powder, matcha powder, salt and stevia to taste.
- Put in a glass container and keep refrigerated. Consume within 2 days.
- *if you don't like stevia, you can sweeten with dates or honey. I recommend 3-4 dates for this recipe if you are going to make that substitution, but you can do more to taste.
[…] Recipe: rachelcarr.com […]