It’s important to have healthy meals that you can throw together quickly and easily, that will leave you satisfied and nourished. I think you only need a few recipes that you can make in a pinch, but they have to be really stellar! Then you’ll feel confident that you can make the best choices for your health that are also convenient for your schedule and budget.
This easy Greek salad is a staple meal for a few raw food friends of mine, as it is very filling and satiating with all the healthy fats!
This salad is….
- Easy to make
- High raw
- Lots of greens
- Contrast of textures
- Rich in natural fats from cashews, avocado and olives
- Oil free
- 1½ heads of romaine hearts, chopped
- ¼ cucumber, sliced into rounds
- 1-2 avocado, pitted and chopped
- ½ cup cherry tomato, halved
- 1 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon onion, sliced (optional)
- ½ bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 4 tablespoons cashew ricotta (see recipe below)
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, stemmed and roughly chopped
- lemon juice (optional)
- Optional garnish-chili flakes, hemp seeds, olives, jalapenos (optional)
- 2 cups cashews, soaked overnight and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- water as needed
- For the Cashew Feta, rinse the soaked cashews and discard the soak water. Place the cashews in a food processor and add the apple cider vinegar. Process until the cashews are creamy, adding water as needed to help achieve the texture of feta in the food processor. Taste and adjust seasoning by adding salt and pepper to taste. Remove from the food processor and place in a container. Stir in a little more water (little by little) until you get a chunky cottage cheese texture. Set aside until ready to use.
- To make the salad, mis the romaine hearts, cucumber, avocado, tomato, celery, onion, bell pepper, and caper in a large mixing bowl. Toss until well mixed. Add the 4 tablespoons of ricotta and toss gently again. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and black pepper. Garnish with fresh dill if desired and any other garnishes you would like.