Do you love to drink coconut water from young Thai coconuts? So do I! But what do you do with the “meat?”
Don’t worry! I got you! You can save the meat every time you open a coconut and freeze it in a container until you have collected enough to make this rich and creamy vegan ice cream recipe. Smooth coconut and rich cashew milk make a perfect base for vegan ice cream and pairs beautifully with the cinnamon scented chocolate sauce.
I have topped this ice cream with fresh cherries, but it’s also delicious made into a Banana Split, with a fresh sliced banana, chopped nuts and of course, lots of sauce.
This recipe also “no churn” which means you don’t need an ice cream maker. The technique is laid out in the recipe and works pretty well! You can of course make this in an ice cream maker if you have one, as well.
- 2 cups coconut meat
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 3 cups cashew milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- pinch salt
- 4 dates, pitted
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon chocolate powder
- pinch salt
- Place the coconut ice cream ingredients in a blender and purée until smooth. Place the mixture in a deep stainless steel baking dish and freeze for 45 minutes. As it begins to freeze near the edges, remove it from the freezer and stir vigorously with a spatula. Return to the freezer.
- Continue to check the mixture every 30 minutes, stirring vigorously as it’s freezing. If you have a hand held mixer or blender, use one of those. Repeat this process for 2 to 3 hours, or until frozen.
- To make the sauce, place all the sauce ingredients in a blender and purée until smooth.
Leave a Reply