Now that the weather is cold and the days are shorter, it’s time to enjoy cozy hot beverages like golden milk! Have you ever tried this traditional Ayurvedic tonic? It’s a wonderfully soothing treat to enjoy before bedtime to help you drift off to a good night’s sleep. It’s easy to make, is completely caffeine free and has tons of nutritional benefits.
The main active ingredient in this drink is turmeric. We are recommending dried turmeric powder because it is readily available in every grocery store, but you can use fresh turmeric root if you prefer. Simply grate with a fine grater the same way the ginger in this recipe is prepared. Turmeric is renowned for its powerful effect supporting the immune system, as well as tons of other vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that can benefit your health.
In India, this delicious beverage is commonly made from simply hot milk and a teaspoon of turmeric. However this beverage is simply delicious when it’s dressed up a little ith a combination of warm, comforting spices and a healthy plant based milk. It’s like a healthier version of a holiday latté!
You can get an extra boost of nutrition by using a protein powder to create a delicious and creamy plant based milk for this recipe! Octonuts Vanilla Almond Protein Powder is fine enough to make a smooth and mellow base for the Golden milk. The hint of vanilla pairs perfectly with the sweet and warming spices, and has a deliciously creamy texture made in this way! And, of course, it’s a great way to get an additional boost of protein and plant based fats while beating the cold! In the summer time, try this naturally caffeine free recipe on ice for a refreshing treat.
*This post is sponsored by Octonuts.
- 2½ cups water
- ½ cup plant based milk, unsweetened (coconut milk is perfect for this)
- 4 Tablespoons Octonuts Vanilla Protein Powder
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- Pinch black pepper
- 1” fresh ginger, grated
- ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup + more as desired
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Heat the water and plant based milk in a medium saucepan. Add the Octonuts Vanilla Protein Powder, turmeric powder, black pepper, fresh grated ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, maple syrup, and coconut oil. Whisk until everything is well combined and simmer on low for 5 minutes. Add more plant based milk if it’s too thick for your taste, and adjust the sweetness to your taste as well.
- To make it a little frothy and extra creamy, mix it for a minute in your blender for about 10-20 seconds before serving. If it’s hot make sure that you have the lid of the blender firmly attached and start blending at a low speed so you don’t have any of the hot drink exploding out of the blender. Pour into 2 mugs and sprinkle with black pepper and cinnamon on top.