Just in time for Saint Patty’s Day, here’s a green treat to make your family for breakfast or brunch! Matcha vegan and gluten free pancakes.
Matcha is really just for color here, since green is the theme! If you don’t have it it’s optional 🙂
This recipe is amazingly light and fluffy, and not too sweet! In fact, the only only sweetener is from the maple added on top!
Use any gluten-free ap flour you like for this recipe, but I like Bob’s Red Mill all purpose baking flour the best for making gluten free pancakes! It’s a perfect blend of gluten free flours that give just the right texture and neutral flavor. And the best part is they really rise and get fluffy 🙂
Feel free to use any fruit you like-I have used blueberries, strawberries and raspberries all to great effect!
For other matcha recipes, try this matcha almond milk, or these gluten-free chocolate matcha donuts!
- 1 tablespoon flax seeds, ground
- 2 ½ tablespoons warm water
- ⅔ cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup gluten free all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon matcha powder
- 1 pint berries (I used strawberries here!)
- Maple syrup
- Vegan butter (I used Earth Balance buttery spread)
- For the wet mix, in a bowl mix the ground flax and the warm water and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- Add the almond milk, vanilla extract, apple cider vinegar and olive oil and stir well. Set aside until ready to add to the dry mix.
- For the dry mix, add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and matcha to a bowl and whisk till well mixed. Add the wet mix and stir until most of the lumps are gone. Be careful not to overstir!
- To cook the pancakes, heat a skillet over medium heat and add a small amount of oil to the pan. Ladle out a 3 oz portion of the pancake batter into the pan. Sprinkle some of the fresh fruit around the top of the pancake.
- Cook until the pancake is bubbling around the edges and then flip (after about 4 minutes).
- Cook on the other side about 4-5 minutes or until cooked all the way through.
- To serve, top with more berries, maple syrup and vegan butter!