There is nothing more satisfying than a hearty bowl of pasta if you are really hungry! If you want to add some heft to a bowl of spaghetti, why not make some healthy vegan meatlballs?
These vegan “Meatballs” are made from whole chickpeas and quinoa, and are completely whole food plant based! They have such a savory flavor and pair perfectly with a spicy tomato based sauce! Top with vegan parmesan and have an easy week-night supper.
These “meatballs” will freeze well for up to a month.
You can also serve the “meatballs” on mini skewers for a healthy appetizer, with a little drizzle of sauce.
Try this recipe with other sauces like vegan pesto or a creamy alfredo.
- Sheet Pan
- food processor
- 2 cups chickpeas canned or cooked
- 1 cup quinoa cooked
- 4 tbsp water
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup red onion diced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp oregano dried
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 cup walnut parmesan* see recipe below
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 tbsp basil chopped
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Add the walnuts. nutritional yeast and salt to a food processor and pulse until a crumbly mixture is formed. Store in an airtight container.
For the Spicy "Meatballs"
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the cooked quinoa and chickpeas in a food processor and pulse until a crumbly dough is formed. It's ok to have chunks! Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Heat the water in a small skillet. Add the onion and garlic and water sauté until the onions are translucent. When they are done cooking, transfer to the mixing bowl.
- Add the salt, oregano, red pepper flakes, fennel, walnut parmesan, tomato paste and basil. Mix well, using a spatula or your hands to really mix all the ingredients well. Adjust the seasoning to taste with salt, black pepper and more red pepper flakes.
- Measure the meatballs to about 1.5oz. Place them on a parchment lined sheet pan and bake for 20-30 minutes, flipping them on the sheet pan halfway through the cooking time.
- Serve on top of cooked pasta with your favorite tomato sauce. Garnish with fresh basil and more walnut parmesan.