One of my favorite treats as a kid was crab cakes! I loved the mild flavor of the crab, with the creamy spiced mayo and the crispy breaded exterior. I have always thought about finding a way to enjoy this dish as a plant based appetizer.
There are lots of ingredients you could use to replace the crab, but I think that the hearts of palm makes a perfect choice because it actually looks like shredded crab and has a juicy, mild flavor when cooked.
The “crab” mixture also is delicious as a seafood salad before turning it into a patty!
Serve this lovely appetizer with some roasted asparagus and some quinoa for a light and healthy meal.
- food processor
- Sheet Pan
- 2 can hearts of palm
- 1/2 cup vegan mayo
- 2 tsp seafood seasoning like Old Bay
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 each scallions chopped
- 1 cup rice cake crushed, plus more for coatind
- Drain and rinse the hearts of palm and chop them by hand or pulse them in the food processor until it has the texture of shredded crab. Transfer to a separate bowl.
- In another bowl, mix the mayo, seafood seasoning, salt, black pepper, and scallions. Whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Add the rice cakes to the food processor and pulse until a fine crumbly texture is achieved. Mix into the hearts of palm mixture and fold together gently until well combined. Save some extra crumbled rice cakes into a shallow bowl or plate for coating the "crab cakes."
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Form the crab cakes into 2" wide patties that are about 1/2" thick. Coat both halves of the patties with rice cake crumbles. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Place the coated patties on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Bake for 20 mins and then flip and bake for 10 more mins.