Red Thai curry is so easy to make at home and is way more delicious and healthier, too, than takeout versions. This sauce is simply irresistible and rich with a coconut milk base and rich fragrant spices. This would be delicious with rice as well as the noodles I have used here.
The crispy tofu served here is absolutely delicious as well. A crispy and chewy texture is achieved by slowly cooking the tofu a pan until golden brown. You’ll never look at tofu the same. Meaty shiitake mushrooms complement the tofu perfectly.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, cut into large cubes
- ½ yellow onion finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger OR 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon thai red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar (optional)
- 1 15-ounce can coconut milk
- grated zest and juice of one lime
- cooked noodles or rice for 2 servings optional
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 package extra firm tofu, drained and cut into cubes
- 8-9 medium shiitake mushrooms
- 2 small heads bok choy, washed and cut in half lengthwise
- cilantro as garnish
- 3 stems green onions
- To make the crispy tofu and curry vegetables, heat the olive oil in a non stick skillet and add the cubed tofu. Allow to cook for at least 5 minutes over medium heat and without disturbing them until they are crispy and golden on the bottom. Carefully turn them over and cook the other side another 5 minutes until it is equally crispy. Remove the tofu from the pan and add the mushrooms and bok choy. Sauté until tender and set aside until ready to use.
- To make the curry sauce, heat the coconut oil in a large skillet and add the onion and ginger. Sauté on low heat and until the onion is translucent. Add the turmeric, thai curry paste, coconut sugar, and coconut milk. Whisk the mixture until the curry paste is well incorporated. Bring to a simmer and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the lime juice, lime zest and cooked rice noodles and allow to heat up for another minute. Divide the noodles and sauce into 2 bowls. Top with the crispy tofu and vegetables. Garnish with cilantro and chopped scallions.