This simple summer salad is one of my favorites. Featuring some of the best produce of summer: raspberries, cucumbers, currants and baby greens. Throw some avocados and walnuts on top and you’ll have a meal!
With a simple raspberry balsamic dressing, this salad has the perfect balance of creamy, crunchy, bright, and bitter components. It’s an excellent choice for a lunch or dinner on it’s own, but can be eaten as a bright and lovely starter with other dishes.
This salad features some great summer ingredients:
- raspberries. I love fruit in salad, don’t you? And the fresh raspberries tossed in the salad complement the raspberries in the Raspberry Balsamic Dressing. If you have other berries, throw them in as well.
- cucumber. The crisp, watery texture of fresh cucumber is great with the tart, bright berries.
- avocado & walnuts. These healthy sources of vegan fats give the salad some heft and depth of flavor.
- currants. If you can find these, definitely toss them in, because they have such a bright and unique flavor. If you can’t get them don’t worry!
- balsamic glaze. Balsamic is a thick and slightly sweet form of balsamic vinegar. It’s delicious on veggies and fruits equally. If you don’t have it, substitute with some regular balsamic vinegar if desired. It lends a beautiful dark color to the dressing.
- baby mixed greens. I used mixed greens in this salad, but it would be delicious with spinach, arugula or any other tender lettuce. I’m trying spinach next!
Summer Berry, Walnut and Avocado Salad with raspberry balsamic vinaigrette
With a simple raspberry balsamic dressing, this salad has the perfect balance of creamy, crunchy, bright, and bitter flavors and textures. It’s an excellent choice for a lunch or dinner on it's own, but can be eaten as a bright and lovely starter with other dishes.
Author: Rachel Carr
Serves: 4 servings
Raspberry Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 1 cup raspberries
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic glaze (or balsamic vinegar)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- 1 pinch salt or to taste
- black pepper to taste
For the salad:
- 5 cups organic mixed greens
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 cup currants
- 1 small organic cucumber, sliced
- 2 avocados, diced
- ½ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- To make the raspberry balsamic, place all the dressing ingredients in a blender and pulse until the dressing is chunky but still blended. Set aside until ready to use.
- To make the salad, divide the salad ingredients between 4 bowls and dress as desired. Serve immediately.
Leave a Reply