Red beans and rice is a classic dish featuring healthy legumes that is something like a Cajun chili! Kick up the spice with your favorite hot sauce and you have a perfect supper.
Red beans and Rice
Author: Rachel Carr
Serves: 4 servings
- ¼ cup water
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 jumbo garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 heaping tablespoon miso paste
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ to 1 teaspoon ground cayenne, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 3 dried bay leaves
- Cooked brown rice, for serving
- Hot sauce, for serving
- Heat ¼ cup of water in a heavy bottomed stock pot. Water sauté the chopped garlic until translucent. Add the celery, bell pepper, miso, paprika, smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne, soy sauce and tomato paste. Cook for 5 more minutes on low.
- Add the kidney beans, 2 cups of water and bay leaves. Stir well.
- Cook for about 30 minutes or until the bean cooking liquid has thickened up.
- Serve with the cooked rice and hot sauce.
Leave a Reply