Crepes are a wonderful dish to serve for either dessert or for a special brunch! They can be made with almost any fruit-raspberries, blackberries, blueberries or strawberries are all delicious! Nutella, a rich spread made with roasted hazelnuts and dark chocolate, adds a decadent and chocolatey note. These vegan Nutella and Berry Crepes are super easy top make and rival any crepes made with eggs and dairy products.
The nutella can be made with roasted or raw hazelnuts, but will purée more easily if they are roasted. If you need more liquid to help the hazelnut butter to form, just drizzle in a little extra hazelnut oil. If you’re interested in a little more info on the nutritional benefits of hazelnuts, you can find it here.
If you prefer savory crepes, try filling these with sautéed mushrooms and spinach!
Or check out this pumpkin pie recipe featuring hazelnuts!
- Wet Mix
- ½ cup almond milk
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup hazelnut oil
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons agave
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1½ cups hazelnuts
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup hazelnut oil
- 1 tablespoon brown coconut sugar
- Pinch of sea salt
- ½ cup semi-sweet 59% dark baking chocolate
- Mix the wet ingredients together. Next mix together the flour and sea salt. Add the wet mix to the flour mix. Whisk until smooth. Chill for 2 hours.
- Heat a small non stick pan over low heat. Add a small amount of butter if desired. Ladle in about 3 tablespoons of crepe batter into the pan and swirl around until the batter is smoothly and evenly distributed in the pan.
- Cook gently on both sides until golden, but the crepe should still be flexible.
- Remove the from the pan and continue tp cook all the crepe batter.
- Fill the crepes with nutella and sliced strawberries and dust with powdered sugar. You can also drizzle a little more of the nutella on top as a sauce!
- Roast the hazelnuts for 12-15 minutes at 350°F. Roll in a clean kitchen towel to remove skins.
- Place the peeled hazelnuts into a blender or food processor along with the vanilla, hazelnut oil, coconut sugar and sea salt. Purée until a butter is formed.
- Melt the baking chocolate in a double boiler and then pour into the blender and purée briefly until smooth. Set aside until ready to use.