Walnuts and mushrooms are a perfect combination for a healthy and meaty vegan burger patty! They both have a savory yet earthy flavor profile that work with tons of different burger toppings.
Walnut Protein Powder is also a perfect gluten free ingredient to use as a base for these patties (I used Octonuts Walnut Protein Powder). Not only is it high in protein, but it helps to bind the patties as well. We recommend using GF burger buns, but feel free to use whatever buns you like.
The patty in this recipe is naturally gluten-free, relying on the flax seed and walnut protein powder to act as a binder. Get some gluten free slider buns if you want to keep the whole thing gluten-free!
*This is a sponsored post.
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup onion minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 16 oz mushrooms brown button
- 1 tbsp flax, ground plus 3 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup walnuts pulverized in a food processor
- 2 tsp miso
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp thyme, dried
- 1 tbsp tamari gluten free
- 1 cup walnut protein powder (I used Octonuts Walnut Protein Powder)
- black pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick skillet. Add the onion, garlic and chopped mushrooms. Sauté for 5-7 minutes over low heat or until the mushrooms are tender and the onions are golden.
- Mix the ground flax with the warm water and allow it to sit for 5-10 mins to thicken up. Add the ground flax to a medium mixing bowl and then add the cooked mushrooms, walnut, miso, sea salt, dried thyme, tamari and protein powder. Mix until everything is very well combined
- Form the mixture into patties about 1/2” thick and 2 1/2” in diameter. Place the formed patties onto a sheet pan that’s lined with parchment paper. Place the sheet pan and bake for 25 mins in the oven. Flip the patties halfway through the cooking time.
- When the patties are done cooking remove them from the oven and allow them to cool for 5-10 mins before handling. Build your burgers on GF slider buns (or regular buns) and top with ketchup, mustard, lettuce, tomato, onion and pickles.
Serving: 1patty | Calories: 285kcal | Carbohydrates: 14.3g | Protein: 10.8g | Fat: 22.3g | Saturated Fat: 2.1g | Sodium: 835mg | Potassium: 692mg | Fiber: 5.1g | Sugar: 3.9g | Calcium: 79mg | Iron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Hi! I’d love to try this recipe, but in my country(Argentina) can’t find any protein powder… any alternative that will work on this recipe?
you can use any GF flour!