Tacos are not just for Tuesdays anymore!
Have you had a chance to check out my Instant Pot Lentil Taco Meat recipe from this past week? Well I have finally made some tacos with it and they were delicious! Any fresh seasonal veggies will be great paired with the protein rich taco meat. These are great with the creamy Cashew Nacho Cheese, which tastes so much like real nacho cheese, you might even fool some people. The Cashew Ricotta is a little like cotija in tacos, and is great crumbled on top.
Some of the supremely healthy ingredients featured in this recipe are:
- lentils-lentils are plant protein superstars! Lentils are high in protein, fibre, and complex carbohydrates, while being low in fat and calories. They are also sources of other key minerals and nutrients including potassium, folate, iron, and manganese.
- cashews-like all nuts, cashews provide an excellent source of protein. Protein is one of three macronutrients your body uses for energy, and it is particularly important for rebuilding muscle tissue and creating new cellular compounds.
- avocado-avocados are full of healthy, beneficial fats that help to keep you full and satiated!
- corn and tomato-these are great paired when in season in the summer.
Try some of these delicious variations on toppings for Lentil Tacos:
- grilled squash
- roasted portobello mushrooms
- mango or other tropical fruit
- zucchini blossoms
- jalapenos or other spicy chile peppers
- pico de gallo
What are your favorite taco toppings?
Low fat and protein rich lentil tacos are a super easy and delicious way to use your Instant Pot!
Author: Rachel Carr
Recipe type: Entree
Serves: 2 servings
For the Nacho Cheese:
- 1 cup cashews, soaked 1 hour and rinsed
- 1 cup bell pepper, chopped and seeded
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1½ teaspoons apple cider vinegar or lemon
- 1½ teaspoons sea salt
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
For the Tacos:
- 6 taco shells
- 1 cup lentil taco "meat"
- 2 avocado, cubed
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 ear corn, shucked
- 1 head of romaine, shredded
- ¼ cup cashew ricotta (optional)
- ½ cup nacho cheese (see recipe above)
- ½ bunch cilantro
- To make the Nacho Cheese, place all the ingredients in a blender and purée until smooth. Keep refrigerated until ready to use. Will last up to 1 week.
- To make the tacos, place the taco "meat" into a sauté pan and add a little water. Heat up until the meat is hot all the way through. Set aside until ready to build the tacos.
- To build the tacos, heat each taco shell up in a pan until soft and pliable. Fill each taco shell with a few tablespoons of the warm taco "meat". Top each taco with a little of the avocado, cherry tomato, corn kernels and shredded romaine. Crumble a little bit of the cashew ricotta on top, and finish with a drizzle of the nacho cheese and a few sprigs of cilantro.
- Serve immediately and enjoy! This is great with some rice and a side of salsa.
Leave a Reply