Kimchi Fried Rice
Kimchi Fried Rice is one of my favorite healthy grain meals to whip up on a busy week-night! It’s such an easy way to use extra grains and veggies in your frig. In this version I used mushrooms, carrots and green onions, but I think it would be delicious with broccoli, broccolini, bell pepper, daikon radish, and even winter squash.
Make Kimchi Fried Rice oil free with this simple technique for water sautéing your veggies and you don’t need to use 1 drop of oil! Just “stir fry” with water and add a little tamari and mirin (cooking rice wine) at the end for flavor. Only add as much water as you need to keep the veggies from sticking to the pan. This is a great technique to use for all kinds of dishes if you are interested in cooking light.
It’s a great idea to try to eat more fermented veggies regularly, I love kimchi because it’s so flavorful and has a nice spicy kick! Chop it up well for this recipe so you get the flavor in every bite!
Interested in more oil free dishes? Check out these recipes!
- ½ cup brown rice, dry
- 1 cup water
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup water
- 6 shiitake mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 small carrots, julienned
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 cup stir fry veg mix
- 2 cups cooked brown rice (see recipe above)
- ¼ cup kimchi, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 teaspoon mirin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish: green onion, pea shoots or sprouts
- To make the rice, rice the brown rice well in a colander. Add the brown rice, water and sea salt to a pot and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to the lowest setting and cover with a tight fitting lid. Simmer on low for 40-45 minutes. Check the rice to see if you need to add a little more water to the pot throughout the cooking time. The finished rice should be plump, tender and slightly chewy.
- To make the fried rice, add the water to a nonstick pan and bring to a simmer. Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook for 3-5 minutes until the mushrooms are tender. Add more water, little by little, if needed,
- Add the carrots, green onion and stir fry veggies and cook for 2-3 more minutes.
- Add the rice, kimchee, tamari, mirin and sea salt and pepper. Stir well and cook for a few minutes, until the whole mixture is hot. Adjust the seasoning as desired.
- Garnish with more green onion and pea shoots or sprouts.
Leave a Reply