Gooey and sweet cinnamon buns are the perfect treat for week-end brunch. This gluten free version is wonderfully fluffy and sticky in the middle. The sweet glaze perfectly complements the raisins inside, while the walnuts lend a lovely crunch.
I recommend baking these right before serving. When they sit overnight, they tend to get a little hard and dried out.
You can alternately mix and assemble the buns the day before and place them in the pan, and then store overnight in the pan. The next day, simply take them out of the refrigerator and allow them to sit in a warm spot for about 1 hour and then pop them in the oven.
- ¼ cup vegan butter
- ⅓ cup brown coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- ¼ cup walnuts, chopped
- ¼ cup raisins
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 cup plant milk, lukewarm
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ cup vegan butter
- ¼ teaspoons sea salt
- 2½ cups GF all purpose flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon plant milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the filling, place the vegan butter in bowl and using two knives, cut it into small pieces. Add the brown coconut sugar and cinnamon and combine well. Set aside until ready to build the cinnamon
- Mix the active dry yeast and plant milk in a bowl and whisk. Allow to sit 10 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, add the flour, melted butter and plant milk/yeast mixture. Mix well until well combined and a dough ball is formed.
- Turn out the dough ball onto a floured surface and knead about 10 minutes, adding flour as necessary. After kneading for the dough into a ball.
- Place the dough ball into a mixing bowl and cover with a towel. Allow to sit for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, turn the dough out onto a floured surface and roll out into a 9” x 13” sheet about ¼”-1/2” thick. Spread the filling over the surface of the dough. Add the walnuts and raisins in an even layer.
- Roll the dough lengthwise into a long roll. Cut the roll into 8 equal pieces.
- Place the dough in a greased 9” round pan. Cover with a towel and all to sit in a warm spot for 1 hour.
- Pre-heat the oven to 375°F. Uncover the dough after 1 hour and place in the oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack for 15 minutes.
- To make the glaze, whisk powdered sugar together with the plant milk and the vanilla extract. Drizzle over the cinnamon buns after they have cooled for 15 minutes.