If you are gardening this summer, you probably have tomatoes overflowing in your garden! Besides making delicious sauces, salads and pizzas, you can also eat these babies green. They are perfect for pan frying because the texture of the green tomatoes is nice and firm!
The batter here is simply garbanzo flour and water, seasoned with salt and pepper. I like chickpea/garbanzo flour because it gets crispy and has a delicious flavor when pan fried. I used olive oil to pan fry it here, but any vegetable oil will do.
What are your favorite ways to use green tomatoes?
- 3-4 medium green tomatoes, sliced into ¼" thick slices
- ½ cup garbanzo flour
- ½ cup water
- sea salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- pinch of cayenne
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- Whisk together the garbanzo flour, water, sea salt, black pepper and cayenne into a batter.
- Slice the green tomatoes into ¼" thick slices.
- Heat the olive oil in a cast iron skillet or nonstick pan over medium high heat.
- Dip the tomato slices into the batter.
- Place into the pan and fry on both sides until crispy on both sides.
- Serve with lemon slices and herbs as garnish.