Anything with chickpeas is usually all right with me. I love their creamy texture and heartiness. I love the protein they bring to my day. And I love how they fill me up! One of my favorite ways to cook them is in a rich creamy chickpea stew, and this vegan recipe does not disappoint.
The chickpeas are perfectly cooked in the Instant Pot before being added to the rich and fragrant spinach, tomato and coconut milk stew. The spinach is stemmed and chopped into a fine chiffonade before being quickly wilted in the stew. It’s almost melt in your mouth!
The other additions to the meal include:
- chopped mint
- coconut yogurt
- basmati rice
Check out some of the great nutrition benefits of chickpeas!
If you’re interested in other Indian legume recipes, you might like this Madras Lentils recipe!
- 1 tablespoon oil (optional-see notes)
- 1 bay leaf
- ⅛ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1½ teaspoon channa masala powder
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1 large tomato, skin removed, chopped
- ½” fresh ginger, grated or ¼ teaspoon ginger powder
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 small jalapeño, seeded, minced
- 6 cups spinach, washed, steamed and chopped
- ½ cup almond or coconut milk + more as needed
- Juice of ¼ lime or to taste
- 2 cup chickpeas, cooked* or canned
- Salt (about ¾ teaspoon) and pepper to taste
- To cook the chickpeas in an Instant Pot, place 1 cup of dried chickpeas into the pot with 3 cups of water and cook for 1 hour at high pressure. Allow the pressure to release before opening and drain the chickpeas.
- For the chickpea stew, heat the oil in a large skillet and add the bay leaf, turmeric powder, chili powder, channa masala powder, and onion. Sauté 2-3 minutes until the onion is translucent.
- Add the tomato, ginger, garlic and jalapeño. Sauté another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the spinach and cook until wilted. Add the almond or coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Taste and adjust seasoning with a little salt and a little lime juice.