Smoothie bowls are one of the easiest options for a quick and healthy breakfast! All you need is some frozen fruit and a few of your favorite toppings and you’re ready to go. I have been eating less super sweet fruit and sugars lately, so I’ve been incorporating lots of berries, and less banana and processed sweeteners like agave & maple syrup. I also like to use smoothies and teas as a way to get in some extra protein in my diet!
As I’ve gotten older, I find that I need to increase my protein intake in order to stimulate my metabolism and help maintain my lean muscle mass. I don’t eat a lot of pure fruit breakfasts, but I do like to make a smoothie bowl from time to time when I have a more laid back morning (meaning I don’t need to run out the door!).
Berries are truly an amazing superfood to add to your diet! If you want to read more about the amazing benefits of these delicious nutrient dense morsels and why you should be eating them all the time, here’s a great article!
- 10 oz blueberries, frozen
- 5 oz mango, frozen
- ½ cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 1 Tablespoon protein powder (I use Sunwarrior brand!)
- stevia to taste
- fresh blueberries, strawberries and raw nuts for garnish (I used walnuts here)
- Place the frozen fruit, almond milk, protein powder and stevia in a blender and blend until smooth. Add more almond as needed to blend easily. This should be fairly thick, but that will also depend somewhat on how powerful your blender motor.
- Place the smoothie in a bowl and top with fresh fruit and nuts.