A delicious and super-easy beet, apple and rhubarb soup made with tender beets and the the bright tangy flavors of green apple and spring rhubarb.
Try this beet, apple and rhubarb soup with a spicy arugula salad for a flavorful and beautiful early summer dinner. You might see beets in a new way after trying this soup!
Horseradish and ginger add a little spice at the end that cuts through the earthy sweetness of the beets. Strain the soup at the end for the best texture, and gaarnish with chives or green onion.
- 2 large beets, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 green apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 4 ribs rhubarb
- 1 small onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup cooking wine
- 2 Tablespoon coconut or safflower oil
- 1 cup cashews, soaked 2 hours and rinsed
- 2 Tablespoons agave
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- pinch salt
- 1 Tablespoon fresh grated horseradish
- 1 Tablespoon grated ginger
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and saute the onion until it is transluscent.
- Add the garlic, beet, apple and rhubarb and saute until lightly browned.
- Add the white wine and cook for a few minutes. Add the veg stock, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Turn down the heat and simmer for 30 minutes. When the beets are tender, puree the mixture until smooth in a blender or using a stick blender.
- Serve immediately. Top with horseradish crema.
- Puree all ingredients, except the horseradish.