Citrus and poppy seeds are one of my favorite combinations in the world, especially when it comes to baked goods. My love of this combo even applies to salads! This is a super simple salad that makes the most of winter produce-citrus and avocados, which are at their height this time of year.
Especially during the winter, it’s important to celebrate what’s in season!
I hope also, that you’ll try this delicious salad dressing with other salads! It has a creamy and slightly sweet flavor, so it’s great with savory salads as well.
- 2-3 small tangerines
- 1 ruby red grapefruit
- 2 avocados
- 2-3 heads little gem lettuce or baby romaine
- orange poppyseed vinaigrette (see recipe)
- Zest 6 oranges
- 1 cup orange juice
- ½ cup maple
- 1 Tablespoon mustard
- 2 cups extra virgin olive oil or walnut oil
- 2 Tablespoons poppy seeds
- Arrange the salad ingredients in a bowl as desired and dress lightly.
- If you want to make an avocado flower, check this out!
- Add the orange zest, orange juice, maple and mustard to a blender.
- Slowly blend, adding the oil a little at a time until smooth.
- Fold in the poppy seeds by hand.