M.A.L.T is a vegan version of a classic sandwich-so simple but so delicious!
Roasted mushrooms are one of my favorite foods. They give a meatiness to a wide variety of dishes and have a succulent, earthy flavor. I suggest you try different mushrooms until you find your favorite-each variety will have a unique character in this simple sandwich.
And I think you’re going to love the spicy and slightly creamy sriracha aioli that goes on it! I’ve been eating it as a dipping sauce for sweet potato fries lately!
Get your sammy on!
- ¼ cup vegan mayo (I am using Follow Your Heart Veganaise)
- 1 Tablespoon sriracha
- pinch salt
- 8 large trumpet or king oyster mushrooms (you can substitute 2-3 portobello caps if you prefer)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium tomato, cut into thick slices
- 1 small head of romaine or butter lettuce
- 1 avocado, pitted and sliced
- 6 pickles
- 4 pieces of whole wheat bread, toasted
- In a small bowl, mix the mayo, sriracha and salt until smooth. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Slice the trumpet mushrooms lengthwise and toss in olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Place mushrooms on a sheet pan and place in the oven for about 10 minutes.
- Roast until tender. Remove from oven and set aside until ready to use.
- Take the toasted bread and spread some of the sriracha aioli onto each slice.
- Arrange ½ the avocado and mushrooms onto one side of the bread.
- Top with 2-3 slices of the tomato, 2-3 pieces of lettuce, and 1 or 2 pickles.
- Put the final piece of bread on top to finish the sandwich.
- Cut in half and hold in place with sandwich picks if desired.